Out of all the books I have read, I have found these to be the most useful. I decided on 3 groups of books.
- Those that deal with yoga in its widest an deepest sense
- The practicing of yoga
- Inspirational and spiritual books.
I’m sure if I was to ask the other 18 yoga teachers I trained with, they would all come up their own equally good list of books for each group, although im sure they would include some of these.
Books marked (*) are the ones I refer to the most from both a personal and teaching perspective.
Ten books on the wider and deeper aspects of yoga.
- Practical Yoga Psychology by Dr Rishi Vivekananda (*)
- Yoga Darshan by Swami Niranjanananda
- Bringing Yoga to Life by Donna Farhi
- The Spiritual Teachings of Yoga Mark Forstater & Jo Manuel
- The Edge of Infinity by Swami Nishchalananda Saraswati
- Sure Ways to Self-Realization by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Sri Swami Satchidananda (*)
- The Bhagavad Gita by Eknath Easwaran or Juan Mascaro (or anyone)
- The Upanishads by Eknath Easwaran
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
Ten books to help you practice yoga at home (or improve your understanding of yoga for the classes you attend)
- Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati (*)
- Prana and Pranayama by Swami Niranjanananda (*)
- Yoga for Body, Breath, and Mind by A. G. Mohan
- Yoga – How and Why it Works by Andy Thomas
- Yoga Nidra by Swami Satyananda Saraswati (*)
- Meditation from the Tantras by Swami Satyananda Saraswati (*)
- Ashtanga Yoga – “The Practice Manual” by David Swenson
- The Heart of Yoga – Developing a Personal Yoga Practice by T.K.V. Desikachar
- Structural Yoga Therapy by Mukunda Stiles
- The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga by Srivatsa Ramaswami
Ten inspirational and/or spiritual books
- Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
- Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
- The Wisdom of No Escape by Peme Chodron
- Freedom From The Known Krishnamurti
- Courage: the Joy of Living Dangerously by Osho
- The Ringing Cedar Serieas (all 9 books) by Vladimir Megre
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Receiving Love by Harville Hendrix & Helen LaKelly Hunt
- How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body by David R. Hamilton PhD
- The Life of Mahatma Gandhi by Louis Fischer
Should you be looking for something that’s not listed above, please feel free to contact me, and ask me for a specific book recommendations, just let me know the sort of thing you’re looking for.